my experience with Hecate


 I’ve been pagan for a whole year now! I first identified as an eclectic witch and Wiccan, however, I now identify as an herbal witch and pagan polytheist. I’ve introduced myself to Odin, Hebe, and have just begun working with Venus. However, my longest and closest relationships to my deities so far has been with Isis and Hecate. That’s four different pantheons, which is a lot to work with, but I love seeing the overlap and differences in gods across the Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and Norse pantheons. I identify most perhaps with the Roman pantheon. I have Italian heritage, and I love the idea of my ancestors worshipping the gods in Ancient Rome. And so I’d like to talk about my relationship and journey with Hecate. This is not the universal experience, merely mine, but I’d like to share what it’s been like for me.

Hecate, which can also be spelled Hekate (I prefer the Roman spelling, personally), is the goddess of many things. I don’t like to say that She is just the goddess of witchcraft, because while that is a major part of who She is, She is also a protector goddess, a patron goddess of dogs and of herbalists, a goddess of the crossroads, and a goddess of the Underworld. She is one of the few goddesses to be recognized in both the Roman and Greek pantheons under the same name (though the spelling varies). I believe that Hecate has been with me my whole life, and for me personally it just makes sense for me to have a close relationship with a protector goddess. When I first discovered the pagan community, I didn’t understand the concept of protection. What did you need to be protected from? Ghosts, spirits, demons? I didn’t believe in those things anyway, so I didn’t see the point in doing much protection spellwork. Now, I’ve come to understand that protection can be a sense of security in a chaotic world; a lifeboat in a vast ocean. Protection can mean protection from being taken advantage of, from law and politics, from emotional damage, and from physical, emotional, and spiritual threats. Protection can also mean being granted the strength to bear the terrible things the world sometimes forces us to bear. Protection doesn’t necessarily mean shielding yourself from bad things (although it can). It can also mean finding the courage to deal with these bad things.

My whole life I’ve been told that I am resilient and well-behaved and mature for my age. This, of course, is intended to be a compliment, but it has never felt like one. For me, it is simply a reminder that if I go through terrible things and have to fight really hard to remain “well-behaved and mature”, what will be recognized is my maturity and not how hard I had to fight for it, or why I have to be mature in the first place. Hecate is a mother goddess to me. She sees not just my resilience and maturity but the efforts behind them, and all the reasons I have to be mature to begin with. She sees that it was never a choice; it was something I had to be to survive.

When I first met Hecate, I was mostly unaware of Her association with black dogs, the night, crossroads, herbal witchcraft, and justice. After getting to know Her, I continued my research and discovered these associations. Everything made sense after that. There are many connections to these symbols in my life. I have deep, personal connections to justice. The night is often the only time I feel safe, and it is also when Hecate is most frequently petitioned. There is a special crossroads that I saw near my home for much of my childhood that I’ve always loved in a way I couldn’t put into words. I have a black dog which whom I have a deep connection with, and before her, I had another black dog. I’ve always been fascinated with plants and herbal healing from a young age. But then, of course, there’s the sort of connection to Her I have that I just can’t describe. In my opinion, that’s the best part.

I truly believe that Hecate is with me whenever I call upon Her. I think of Her every day. She has saved me in more ways than I can count, and I will devote myself to Her.

Blessed Be,

Cat

Comments

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!!’ And I’m sure She loves it too xDDD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

chrysanthemum & poppy - a poem about grief

What’s Wrong With Saying “I’m So OCD”

guilt